Sunday 22 July 2007

XML and ASN.1

In 2002 -- 5 years ago! -- I spent a year working with Steven Legg on establishing a decent mapping between ASN.1 (the standard for directory structures) and an appropriate encoding in XML. Since then I have gone onto other things, but Steven has continued to work away and last week this work reached IETF request for comment status:

        RFC 4910


Title: Robust XML Encoding Rules (RXER)
for Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1)

Author: S. Legg, D. Prager

Status: Experimental

Date: July 2007


Congratulations, Steven!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you think about X.693, as the standard way to encode ASN.1 into XML?

Daniel Prager said...

My work in this area was five years ago, and I have gone in several different directions subsequently, so I have no opinion.

I am sure that Steven Legg will be able to explain the differences effectively.